The Spice Bazaar (Turkish Mısır Çarşısı, meaning Egyptian Bazaar) in Istanbul is one of the largest bazaars in the city. Located in the Eminönü quarter of the Fatih district, it is the second largest covered shopping complex after the Grand Bazaar.
There are several documents suggesting the name of the bazaar was first "New Bazaar". It was built as part of the New Mosque complex, with revenues from shop rentals in the bazaar being used for the maintenance of the mosque. It got its name Egyptian Bazaar because it was built with the revenues from Egypt in 1660. The bazaar has been the center of spice trade in Istanbul, but in the last years more and more shops of other types are replacing the spice shops.
The structure was designed by the court architect Koca Kasım Ağa, but the construction work began under the supervision of another court architect, Mustafa Ağa, in the last months of 1660; following the Great Fire of Istanbul that began on 24 July 1660 and, lasting for slightly more than two days, destroyed many neighbourhoods in the city.